Tavush Area Development Programme
Area Development Programs (ADPs) are multi-sectoral programs that focus on well-being of children, and entail 15 years’ commitment to communities. ADPs are predominantly funded through child sponsorship. ADPs are focused on encouraging community participation and ownership in addressing the needs of the most marginalized and vulnerable groups. The projects implemented with the active involvement of communities aim to improve the level of food security and nutrition, ensure access to education and healthcare for children, promote their spiritual development, rehabilitation of living conditions and infrastructure in communities, and income generation.
Tavush ADP was launched in 2002 in the North-Eastern region of Armenia bordering Azerbaijan. The majority of the population in Tavush lives below the poverty line. This is due to the war with Azerbaijan over the disputed territory of Nagorno-Karabakh, as well as the geographic remoteness of the region, poor road conditions and decaying infrastructure.
Tavush ADP aims to contribute to the sustainable community development by involving community potential in building wealthy livelihood for their children.Tavush ADP achievements of 2012 include:
- The capacity of medical workers of ADP communities on Family Planning, Nutrition, Care of healthy child, hypertonic, diabetes etc. was build in order to increase the quality of services provided to population.
- The awareness of mothers on ''Prenatal Care'' Family Planning, Nutrition, child care was organized by the trained community medical staff with the aim of improving parental skills.
- Based on the evaluation results the medical institutions of Ijevan, Getahovit, Khashtarak, Azatamut, Sevqar, Achajur, N.K. Aghbyur and Artsvaberd communities have been equipped with blood pressure checker, vaccination refrigerator and necessary furniture with the aim of increasing the quality of provided services.
- Renovation of Sevkar and Tavush communities’ drinking water system, Voskevan and Aygehovit drinking water basin contributed to the improvement of the quality of drinking water that directly is connected with child and adult health and might prevent from different diseases.
- The heating system of Paravaqar community health post was installed with the aim of providing access to health services during winter time.
- Christmas and Easter events have been implemented with involvment of more than 4,000 children (RC and non RC) and adults with the aim of increasing spiritual values among the community members.
- Improvement of historical monuments' surrounding in four communities.
- With the use of ''COVACA'' tool in Getahovit and Khashtarak communities the risks of disaster were assessed and based on the results two projects such as renovation of drinking water basins was implemented.
- Community Development Plans and Budget hearings were organized in three communities with the aim of increasing participation of community members in their community development plan and increase the civil society.
- Support Sunday school to implement extracurricular classes (drawing, sewing and computer) for community children.
- Provision of sport supplies for creation of sport classes in 5 communities.
- Drip irrigation greenhouses that have been placed in N.K. Aghbyur, Aygehovit and Ditavan communities succeeded and got income out of which mini projects for community development will be organized from 10% of their income.
- For Ditavan, Koti, Aygedzor and surrounding communities, cows artificial insemination program has been carried out; training has been organized for insemination technicians. More than 203 cows insemination with Jersey and Semintal breeds was processed and generation of newborn cows is raising. With this the families might improve their meat and dairy production.
- Training in Bee-keeping has been organized for thirty participants, and the first need bee-keeping tools have been provided to improve the bee-keeping in the communities and increase the quality of honey.
- In order to increase income generating opportunities of the most vulnerable families 90 cows and 135 tons of grass were provided to Norashen, Artsvaberd, Navur, Tavush and Paravaqar communities to give families opportunity for their daily dairy product and later possibilities for income generation, 1,463 hens and 4,389 kg of wheat was provided to 77 families in Sarigyugh community.
- The road has been pebbled in Sevqar community which will support community people/farmers easily reaching their cultivated lands.
- In Sarigyugh and Lusadzor communities the irrigation pipes installation was organized which will save the water and irrigate more lands.
- In order to make preschools better place for children’s physical and cognitive development Getahovit, Norashen, N.K. Aghbyur, Khashtarak, Berd, Norashen, Voskevan, Navur and Artsvaberd Communities’ kindergartens conditions were improved by implementation of partial renovation, heating system installation and by provision of developmental toys and materials
- Sport goods, speakers, microphones and furniture was provided to Norashen, Paravaqar, N.K. Aghbyur, Artsvaberd schools to improve the quality of education. At the same time the capacity of teachers of Aygehovit and Getahovit community schools was increased on "Challenges of integration of all schoolchildren in school life”.
- The playgrounds in Ijevan and Baghanis communities were established to make sure that children have safe space for play.
- Christian Summer Camps were organized for 474 children to increase their spiritual values and practice healthy life style
- The cultural houses of Aygehovit, Koti, Ijevan, Artsvaberd, Achadjur and N.K. Aghbyur communities have been provided with sport supplies and musical instruments to increase the cultural and sporty life of children and youth.
Tavush ADP office
9 Artsakhyan st., Ijevan, Tavush marz
Tel. + 374 (060) 49 10 07