Child Health Now Campaign
Every year in the world nearly 9 million children and 350, 000 mothers die before their 5th birthday.
Among UN Millennium Development Goals, healthcare, especially, Maternal and Child has been the least achievable so far.
In Armenia, as various researches reveal, the achievements towards these goals are not visible yet. The government efforts to reduce infant mortality by 2/3 and maternal mortality by ¾ are not realistic taking into account the existing resources.
Since 2009 World Vision has started to implement a five-year Global Health Campaign in Armenia, Kenya, Brazil, Indonesia, Bosnia, Bolivia, and India with an aim to improve Maternal and Child health sector. According to the assessment, the implementation of campaign activities around the world will help save the lives of almost 6 million children and half million mothers.
In December 2009 Global Health Campaign launched in Armenia, while summer 2010 was marked by a nation-wide event that gathered government officials in healthcare and other relevant sectors, representatives of NGOs and international organizations active in the field. The event stressed the importance of Maternal and Child health, while the participants showed determination to support the Campaign.
Global Health Campaign is the first large-scale event that relies on WVA’s 22 years’ experience in the field of healthcare and campaign organization. The Campaign is in line with WVA’s strategy that makes the child healthcare number one priority.
Global Health Campaign in Armenia has the following objectives:
- Contribute to the improvement of healthcare by encouraging the Government to increase funding for public healthcare
- Provide equal opportunities to poor communities of Armenia to access quality healthcare services
- Strengthen the mechanisms of monitoring the quality provision of healthcare services to Armenia’s mothers and children.
Since the launch of the Campaign WVA has been cooperating with the Ministry of Health, the National Assembly, higher educational institutions, NGOs, international and community based organizations.
To achieve the goals set by the Campaign WVA cooperates with stakeholders to:
- Raise awareness of decision makers and public at large on the issue
- Prepare series of researches that can provide competence based solutions to the existing problems and offer new approaches
- Follow the state policy on procedures regarding Maternal and Child healthcare, do analysis, and make suggestions
- Cooperate with international organizations as well as bring together other NGOs active in the field of Maternal and Child health to achieve more tangible results
- Make the concerns of rural population heard on national level regarding Maternal and Child health issuesCooperate with state institutions to implement projects on improving Maternal and Child healthcare system.
CHN campaign calls for an end to the health crisis that is killing millions of children each year. Please, take action and sign the global petition.
For further information on Global Health Campaign, please, visit www.childhealthnow.org website.